Usually a degree in Food Technology, Food Science or similar. HNC or HND in an appropriate subjcet is acceptable. Biology and Chemistry at Higher are usually required. It is possible to enter at a lower level with National 5’s in science subjects and become a Laboratory Technician or Assistant. Apprenticeships available.
• Attention to detail
Your day-to-day tasks will vary.
- In the laboratory, you may analyse food and nutritional content.
- Attend team meetings to discuss new products and processing methods.
- Visit a supermarket to ensure correct storing methods are being followed.
- Advise those in the production line of hygiene requirements.
- Put together correct labelling of product.
- Back in the office, quoting for the orders.
Working Hours, Patterns and Environment
A laboratory or food factory. Always exceptionally clean to avoid contamination. May involve travelling from warehouses to factories and supermarkets.
There is possible progression to team leader, technical director and eventually to senior management as a key role in food production. Promotion will be improved with registration with the Institute of Food Science and Technology.