Renewable Energy Engineer
You'll usually need a degree in engineering or a related science subject, like:
- environmental technology
- energy engineering
- earth sciences
- environmental engineering
- renewable or sustainable energy
- electrical engineering
You may need to have, or be working towards, a postgraduate qualification. This should be related to the area you wish to work in, like an MSc in renewable energy engineering.
The Energy Institute's Energy Careers has details of approved degrees and postgraduate courses.
The Industrial Doctoral Centre for Offshore Renewable Energy has details of sponsorship to research offshore technologies for wind, wave and tidal-current technologies.
You could get into this job through an apprenticeship.
- Problem solving
- Mathematical and computer skills
- The ability to manage projects, budgets and people
- Communication and team working skills
You may work on producing energy from renewable or sustainable sources, like:
- Hydro – water
- Solar – sunlight
- Biomass – plants or plant materials
- Wind power
Day to day tasks may include:
- Researching and designing new generating sites
- Deciding on the best locations for sites
- Planning and overseeing production programmes for sites
- Managing and coordinating teams of technicians or site workers
- Designing and selecting equipment
- Meeting environmental standards
- Finding the most cost efficient and productive processes
- Carryout out laboratory experiments
- Converting experiments into large-scale processes
- Working with specialist contractors
- Managing projects and budgets
Working Hours, Patterns and Environment
You'll work 40 hours per week in office-based design or research jobs. If you work on a site like an offshore wind farm, you may work on a shift basis, including nights and weekends.
If you work onshore, it's usually in offices and laboratories with visits out to sites. Some jobs may involve international travel and long stays away from home.
With experience, you could move into planning, policy development, or freelance consultancy.